“Civic engagement is acting upon a heightened sense of responsibility to one’s communities and a heightened understanding of one’s identity. This includes a wide range of activities, including developing civic sensitivity, participation in building civil society, and benefiting the common good. Civic engagement encompasses the notions of global membership and interdependence. Through civic engagement, individuals—as members of their communities, their nations, and the world—are empowered as agents of positive social change for a more democratic world.” —adapted from B. Jacoby, Civic Engagement in Higher Education, 2009
Civic engagement is work that deepens people’s commitment to their community and the condition of their community.
We still have spaces available for our Alternative Spring Break programs! Please don't hesitate to apply! For more information on the programs available, click here.
Coming Up Next
Community + Leadership + Reciprocity + Collaboration + Social Change + Appreciation
Civic Engagement Week through the Center for Civic Engagement is an opportunity for OSU students, faculty, staff, and affiliates to get involved in an entire week of activities representing several aspects of engagement. Stay tuned for more information about our week of programming, coming soon!
Explore Civic Engagement Opportunities
There are many ways to live your commitment to community and civic engagement, from big impacts to small decisions. Learn about all of the ways the Center for Civic Engagement can help you be engaged through our civic engagement opportunities, events and programs.
Jobs & Internships
Internships, jobs, and careers are an incredible way to contribute to the common good and be of service to others and your community.
News readership is an important piece of civic engagement and way to stay current and up to date with important local, national, and global news.
Community Values Award
The Community Values Award was devised by the CCE and the Center for Fraternity and Sorority Life, and is given on a yearly basis to the Greek chapter that records the highest average civic engagement hours per member, allowing smaller chapters to compete with larger chapters.
Civic Engagement Tracking
Record your civic engagement activity with the Center for the Civic Engagement.
Submit a Civic Engagement Opportunity
If you are a community-based organization that would be interested in having students complete one time or ongoing service projects please complete the Submit Civic Engagement Opportunity Form or contact our office via email or 541-737-3041.
Why Should I Get Involved?
Here are a few potential benefits of civic engagement and community service:
- Enhance your sense of self, sense of place, and a sense of purpose to effect positive change
- Impact change in your areas of passion and interest
- Feel a sense accomplishment, service promotes personal growth and self-esteem
- Deepen your understanding of complex social, environmental, and political issues
- Develop friendships and a stronger sense of community and belonging
- Build relationships with people from diverse backgrounds
- Strengthen your community
- Explore your values
- Increase your self-awareness (emotionally, intellectually, and spiritually)
- Bring course content alive with an opportunity to connect what you learn in the classroom (theory) with the rest of the world (practice)
- Find an outlet for your creativity
- Augment your leadership and practical skill set
- Foster your community and professional networks and contacts
- Gain career readiness skills (Those who volunteer are up to 27% more likely to get hired!)
- Survey various career paths and options to aid with career decision-making
- Prepare for post-graduate work
- Feel happier, people who volunteer are happier on average! (See 10 Things Happy People Do Differently)
- Improve your psychosocial wellbeing (See The Joy of Learning: The Impact of Civic Engagement on Psychosocial Well-Being)
- You make a difference! Your community needs YOU!
Connect With Us
Join our listserv
Oregon State University
2251 SW Jefferson Way
Student Experience Center, Suite 206
Corvallis, Oregon 97331-2212