2017–2018 Academic Year
Center for Civic Engagement
Student Leadership & Involvement
Student Leadership & Involvement Overview:
Student Leadership and Involvement (SLI) shapes campus culture through self-discovery, leadership development, collaboration, community building and social responsibility with a myriad of active learning opportunities, preparing students to be catalysts for a more equitable and caring world.
Center for Civic Engagement Overview:
We believe that OSU students can change our communities and the world and universities need to provide opportunities for students to cultivate the capacity to do so. Within SLI, the Center for Civic Engagement’s (CCE) mission is to facilitate reciprocal community engaged learning experiences in order to build community capacity, promote shared knowledge, enhance students' leadership skills, and inspire positive change. In partnership with community-based organizations, the CCE is committed to providing direct service, advocacy, philanthropy, and other community-engaged learning opportunities that allow students to meet diverse community needs. CCE programs strive to inspire social responsibility and the CCE aspires for all OSU students and alumni to serve as catalysts for creating more equitable, healthy, and sustainable communities. Imagine a better world. Make it happen.
Center for Civic Engagement Student Staff:
We are looking to hire and fill student staff positions for 2017–2018 academic year. The CCE student staff work closely with the Civic Engagement Graduate Assistant and the Assistant Director of SLI for Civic Engagement & Sustainability to offer meaningful community engagement and service opportunities to the campus community. Our student staff positions focus on the following responsibilities: community partnership development, event and service project coordination, campus collaboration and student organization support, leading student service projects, and media and communications. The CCE is looking for passionate, responsible, open-minded, and self-motivated students who want to enrich the diverse campus community.
- Hired for 2017–2018 academic year with the expectation of employment during fall, winter, and spring terms. Some summer employment may be available.
- Term of employment is September 5, 2017 through June 15, 2018 (with one spring training on May 21, 2017)
- Expected to work an average of 10-14 hours each week with some scheduled office hours and some flexible program hours. Hours may exceed 14 hours/week during weeks with large-scale programs. Work evening and weekend hours, as required, to support programming and outreach.
- Pay rate is $10.55.
- Training Commitment: Required to fully participate in SLI Spring Orientation (May 21, 2017) and Fall Training (September 5-19, 2017)
Note: All interested applicants are encouraged to utilize the Career Development Center resources for support around resume and cover letter development as well as interview preparation. Learn about resume writing tips here. Learn about tips for writing a cover letter here. Learn about cover letter and resume drop in support here. Learn about interview preparation here.
External Coordinators (2 positions)
External Coordinators foster mutually beneficial relationships with local nonprofit organizations to identify community needs in the areas of direct service, philanthropy, and advocacy. They collaborate with community partners and Internal Coordinators to plan civic engagement opportunities for students.
Internal Coordinators (4 positions)
Internal Coordinators plan and coordinate civic engagement events and service days that meet community-identified needs or explore community issues and advance student learning and leadership.
Media & Communications Coordinator (1 position)
The Media & Communications Coordinator tells CCE’s story to the campus and local community. The position creates newsletters, social media posts, and a website presence that inspires and celebrates student civic engagement efforts.
Outreach Coordinator (2 positions)
The Outreach Coordinator develops relationships, consults, advises, and provides trainings to increase campus partner and student group participation in civic engagement as well as to increase the capacity of student groups to plan their own civic engagement programs.
Application Process for All CCE Positions:
To apply for a Center for Civic Engagement student staff position, submit the following online by 11:59pm on Sunday April 2, 2017 or to the Student Experience Center Welcome Desk by 4:30pm on Friday March 31, 2017. Please be sure to review the position descriptions for all positions you're interested in to get a full overview of the duties, qualifications, and terms of employment. Extended deadline of 11:59pm on Sunday April 9, 2017 available ONLY for March 2017 Alternative Break participants.
Attach Cover Letter (no more than 2 pages) describing your interest and qualifications for a student staff position with CCE and addressing the following three prompts:
- What are your strengths, and how do you believe these qualities will help you to successfully contribute to Student Leadership & Involvement/Center for Civic Engagement and students on the OSU campus? Give examples that illustrate your strengths.
- Describe why community service and/or civic engagement are important to you and why it's important to engage in this type of work.
- Describe an experience you have had that you believe influenced or impacted your understanding and knowledge of a culture, belief, or lived experience different from your own.
Attach Resume and References. Your resume should address your related work, service, social justice, community, and/or leadership experiences.
Please be sure your resume includes at least two references including name, email, phone number, position title, and relation to you.
Tentative hiring timeline:
- Early April - Applications Due
- Mid to Late April - Interviews
- Late April to Early May - Position Offers Made
- Mid-May - Position Offer Acceptance Deadline and Orientation
Contact Emily Bowling, Assistant Director for Civic Engagement & Sustainability
E-mail: Emily.Bowling@oregonstate.edu; Telephone: 541.737.7673