Welcome to the Center for Civic Engagement (CCE)!
At the CCE we are a collective of student leaders who believe the world should be a more just place for everyone and that we all must find our part in contributing to our communities. We believe that everyone's actions matter and that OSU students have the power to shape the world. Through engaging students in education, direct service, and advocacy in the greater Corvallis community, we cultivate leaders and change-makers. At CCE, we work to create more healthy, caring, and equitable communities. Join us!
Connect With Us
Coming Up Next: Alternative Spring Break Applications Priority Deadline, Monday, November 27, 2017
Over spring break, you can make a difference. The CCE offers three trips: an environmental trip to Ashland, OR; a trip focusing on housing and food insecurity to San Fancisco, CA; and a trip focusing on history and cultural engagement in Yakima, WA. Trips cost only $100, and eligible students can apply for a travel grant to cover up to 75% of this cost. Click here to learn more about the trip options, and click here to apply.
Coming Up Winter Term: MLK Jr. Day of Service, Saturday, January 13, 2018
MLK Jr. Day of Service is about coming together to honor Dr. King’s life and legacy and help further his dream for peace by serving our neighbors and strengthening our communities. The MLK Day of Service empowers individuals, builds bridges, breaks down barriers, addresses social problems, and moves us closer to Dr. King’s vision of strong, beloved communities. Projects will take place at various times, all starting in the morning. To learn more about this event, click here.
Civic Engagement Tracking
Record your civic engagement activity with the Center for the Civic Engagement.
Submit a Civic Engagement Opportunity
If you are a community-based organization that would be interested in having students complete one time or ongoing service projects please complete the Submit Civic Engagement Opportunity Form or contact our office via email or 541-737-3041.
Jobs & Internships
Internships, jobs, and careers are an incredible way to contribute to the common good and be of service to others and your community.
News readership is an important piece of civic engagement and way to stay current and up to date with important local, national, and global news.
Community Values Award
The Community Values Award was devised by the CCE and the Center for Fraternity and Sorority Life, and is given on a yearly basis to the Greek chapter that records the highest average civic engagement hours per member, allowing smaller chapters to compete with larger chapters.
Why Should I Get Involved?
Here are a few potential benefits of civic engagement and community service:
- Enhance your sense of self, sense of place, and a sense of purpose to effect positive change
- Impact change in your areas of passion and interest
- Feel a sense accomplishment, service promotes personal growth and self-esteem
- Deepen your understanding of complex social, environmental, and political issues
- Develop friendships and a stronger sense of community and belonging
- Build relationships with people from diverse backgrounds
- Strengthen your community
- Explore your values
- Increase your self-awareness (emotionally, intellectually, and spiritually)
- Bring course content alive with an opportunity to connect what you learn in the classroom (theory) with the rest of the world (practice)
- Find an outlet for your creativity
- Augment your leadership and practical skill set
- Foster your community and professional networks and contacts
- Gain career readiness skills (Those who volunteer are up to 27% more likely to get hired!)
- Survey various career paths and options to aid with career decision-making
- Prepare for post-graduate work
- Feel happier, people who volunteer are happier on average! (See 10 Things Happy People Do Differently)
- Improve your psychosocial wellbeing (See The Joy of Learning: The Impact of Civic Engagement on Psychosocial Well-Being)
- You make a difference! Your community needs YOU!
Connect With Us
Join our listserv
Oregon State University
2251 SW Jefferson Way
Student Experience Center, Suite 206
Corvallis, Oregon 97331-2212