Imagine a better world. Make it happen.
“Civic engagement is acting upon a heightened sense of responsibility to one’s communities and a heightened understanding of one’s identity. This includes a wide range of activities, including developing civic sensitivity, participation in building civil society, and benefiting the common good. Civic engagement encompasses the notions of global membership and interdependence. Through civic engagement, individuals—as members of their communities, their nations, and the world—are empowered as agents of positive social change for a more democratic world.” —adapted from B. Jacoby, Civic Engagement in Higher Education, 2009
Civic engagement is work that deepens people’s commitment to their community and the condition of their community.
The CCE believes the world should be a more just place for everyone and that we all must find our part in contributing to our communities. We believe that everyone's actions matter and that OSU students have the power to shape the world. We aim to foster leaders and change-makers. At CCE, we strive to create more healthy, caring, and equitable communities by engaging students in actively working to progress the community and world they want to live in. Join us!
The Center for Civic Engagement creates space for students to craft and progress their collective visions of social, economic, and environmental justice by facilitating community-engaged learning experiences. In partnership with community-based organizations, CCE provides direct service, advocacy, philanthropy, and other community engagement opportunities that allow students to work towards a more just, sustainable world. CCE builds community capacity, enhances students' leadership skills, and inspires positive change through connecting students’ interests and talents with community needs. Imagine a better world. Make it happen.
Goals and Vision:
By promoting a campus culture that inspires community engagement, civic leadership, and social responsibility, the CCE aspires for all OSU students and alumni to be empowered to serve as catalysts for creating more equitable, healthy, and sustainable communities.
In partnership with community-based organizations, CCE facilitates meaningful community-engaged learning and educational programs. The CCE strives to:
- Engage students in service, philanthropy, and advocacy based work,
- Meet diverse community-identified needs,
- Create positive change in local and regional communities,
- Enhance students' knowledge of self and sense of place,
- Inspire students to have a heightened sense of responsibility for the communities around them, and
- Advance social, environmental, and economic justice.
- Humility/Cultural Humility
- Learning and Growth
- Appreciation and Celebration
- Experiential learning through one time and ongoing co-curricular community service and service-learning opportunities
- Educational programming to raise awareness about issues of public concern
- Individual service consultation to assist students in finding community opportunities and areas of passion
- Consultation for service groups and student organizations related to community service programming, service-learning education, and reflection strategies
- Networking between the OSU campus and surrounding community
- Civic engagement database
- Custom workshops and trainings
- Civic engagement tracking and recording
- Annual Days of Service
- Trick or Treat for Food Security (late October)
- Hunger and Homelessness Action Week (November)
- Nonprofit Opportunities Fair (February)
Civic Engagement Week (late February/early March)
- Animal Action Day
- Northwest Spring Fest (April)
- Community Dialogues
Growing Food Security
- Seed to Supper classes
- Empty Bowls
- Alternative Break Community-Engaged Learning Experiences
- Day Trippers/Weekenders
- DOT (Do One Thing to better the world) Initiative
Political Education and Engagement
- Postcards for Politicians
- Representatives Represent Us
- Craft 'N Care
- Student Spotlight and Awards