As a member of Orange Media Network, you will be responsible for student-produced content and ensuring student staff members are held to the highest ethical, fiscal and professional standards and practices. You will recruit, lead and supervise student employees and volunteers while advancing Orange Media Network’s reputation for excellence in all media forms and as a welcoming, engaging and inclusive organization. You are responsible to set the tone of the department as a collaborative, supportive environment, and should celebrate and take pride in the success of others with the same enthusiasm as you take pride in your own accomplishment. As a leader, you should build others up through mentoring, coaching and supporting, while also managing and directing work.
- Act in a professional manner
- Be a leader to staff, producers, and volunteers
- Be a collaborator with fellow Orange Media Network leaders in the shared use of facilities, equipment and content to benefit all Orange Media Network publications
- Work to ensure that content is consistent with Orange Media Network’s mission, vision and policies
- Take required DJ training on booth operation and FCC rules and regulations.
- Take Journalism Foundations training with Journalism Coordinator
- Unwavering commitment to truth, accuracy, and ethics
- Meet university eligibility requirements
- Solid organizational skills
- Strong writer and communicator
- Knowledgeable in news gathering and fact checking strategies
- Is capable of leading and coaching others to be their best
- Experienced in giving and receiving feedback
- Meet university eligibility requirements
- Previous newspaper, TV, or radio experience
- Previous video production experience
- Knowledgeable of InDesign
- Knowledgeable of AP Style
- Knowledgeable of SPJ Code of Ethics
- Social media experience
- Prior experience on OMN staff
- Meet all deadlines
- Work with other sports staff in Orange Media Network to coordinate and assign all sports content for all mediums; air, online, and print.
- Manage a staff of contributors to determine stories, pitch ideas, and assign content. As the Sports Chief, you will dictate which stories will need video coverage, audio coverage, and/or print coverage.
- Deliver at least one sports piece specifically written for the Barometer print edition each week.
- Design the Sports pages in InDesign for the Barometer print edition each week.
- Coordinate regular live broadcast opportunities with OSU athletics, including pregame, halftime, and postgame coverage, under the direction of the KBVR-FM station manager
- Seek out opportunities for live sports broadcasts with OSU, including non-traditional sports, rallies, press conferences, and events.
- Seek out and establish live broadcasting events with recreational sports and other community sports.
- Work with FM Station Manager and Barometer editor-in-chief to create a system for play-by-play announcing opportunities, giving students the ability to grow, while setting requirements to begin as an announcer.
- Host or organize sports reporting workshops for students at least three times per term.
- Record all live sports broadcasts and immediately upload them online following the event.
- Learn Wide Orbit music scheduling software and Wheatstone equipment in the DJ booth
- Participate in training new DJs as assigned by station manager.
- Attend all-staff meetings
- Establish weekly sports team meetings for training, feedback, and brainstorming
- Provide leadership, coaching, and mentorship to the sports staff and encourage learning, student participation, accountability and media excellence
- Collaborate with outside organizations around campus and represent KBVR and the Orange Media Network proudly and professionally while looking for opportunities to build audience and participation in the network.
- Participate in the NMC 409 open house the first Wednesday of every term
Additional responsibilities include:
- Participate in OMN Boot Camp beginning Sept. 6. You will begin planning, working, and training each day leading up to the start of the academic year.
- Participate in all-expenses paid LeaderShape training. Dates TBA.
- Participate in all assigned START, START Transfer, and other orientation events during the summer and before the start of the academic year.
- Work to create a legacy of assessment and constant improvement in the pursuit of quality and excellence
- Participate in weekly training with adviser and OMN staff to train, review the week’s strengths and areas for improvement, and most importantly, brainstorm
- Notify Adviser and the Director of Orange Media Network immediately should any ethical, legal, personnel or controversial problems occur
- Alert professional staff on issues with equipment.
- Hold regular office hours at Orange Media Network, at least half of these hours should be during regular business hours (8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday thru Friday). Hours may vary during different stages of the term
- Be as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own
- Check and respond to emails and phone calls immediately, professionally representing Orange Media Network
- Other duties as assigned by the adviser, director
- Think only the best, work only for the best and expect only the best
Pay Rate: 15 hours per week at $11 per hour