The main responsibility of a student worker in this position is to support Orange Media Network by delivering publications and providing front desk support. This position facilitates equipment checkout and assists with other office tasks as assigned.
This recruitment will be used to fill two part-time (a maximum of 20 hours per week) Student Support Services positions for Orange Media Network at Oregon State University.
80% – Working Reception/Equipment Check-Out
• Check in with the Admin Program Specialist Daily to line out projects to be completed for the day.
• Perform duties of Reception/Equipment Check-out during set hours
• Reception Desk
• Warmly greet all guests and employees
• Call staff to notify when guests
• Answer all phone calls within three rings; transfer phone calls
• Tabulate audits from all delivery staff and provide excel sheet to Assistant Director by Wednesdays
• Perform other duties as directed by Admin Program Specialist
• Open door to equipment check-out
• Confirm all equipment is ready for check-out (batteries charged) etc
• Review all equipment currently checked out
• Reach out directly to any students with equipment that is late, notify Administrative Program Specialist
• Make sure guideline and rules are followed for equipment check-out.
20% – Deliveries (approximately 2 hours)
• Monday morning: Arrive at Student Experience Center dock (Waldo Pl) and pick up papers stacked in loading dock. Load assigned number of papers into your car.
• Deliver assigned route using the list provided
• When delivering to outdoor stands, ensure that there is no garbage in or around each stand.
• Place a current newspaper in the plastic sleeve of all black/orange metal stands
• Save all old papers and all plastic ties from new papers to be recycled at the end of your delivery route.
• Never throw papers in the garbage and do not recycle papers in the green walkway recycle containers
• Conduct an audit of each location, weekly
• If you have any extra current day papers, notify Admin Program Specialist at the end of your route
• Never dispose of any extra current day papers
• Deliver assigned route no later than noon on day of publication (Monday)
• If you are late finishing your route, you must notify Admin Program Specialist
• Recycle all old papers and plastic ties at the recycling center at the Student Experience Center dock
• Report any damages or vandalism of kiosks or OMN property
• When there are last minute changes to the route you must be prepared to switch to PLAN B distribution.
• PLAN B REQUIREMENTS
• When a back-up driver is unable to cover for any missing route coverage
• Admin Program Specialist will contact you with the following changes:
• Additional route drop-offs
• Map of new drop locations
• Expected finish time noon
• You will receive additional compensation for additional hours worked
Be warm, professional and customer-service oriented in all interactions
Should be able to multitask and work in an environment with distractions and interruptions
Complete field equipment training and certification to understand basic equipment functionality.
Be a proactive communicator, and promptly share any oddities, changes or challenges with Administrative Program Specialist
Seek out ways to be helpful during slow shifts by asking Administrative Program Specialist and Assistant Director for tasks
Obey all traffic signals and drive the proper direction on all streets
• The Barometer is not responsible for any traffic tickets or damages that occur during delivery
Employment Eligibility Requirements (http://fa.oregonstate.edu/stu-manual/500-employment-eligibility-requirements)
Additional Required Qualifications
• Must be a currently enrolled student at Oregon State University in at least 6 academic credits
• Must have a minimum GPA of 2.0
• Must be in good academic standing for the term prior to selection and during entire period of employment.
• Must have a car for deliveries on behalf of the university
• Must have a valid Driver’s license
• Must pass the DMV History Check as required by OSU
• Must be available to deliver the Barometer on Monday mornings during the school year
• Oregon State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce. We encourage those who are from traditionally underrepresented groups, including students who are of color, women, LGBTQ, veterans and people with disabilities to apply.
Terms of Employment -
Hours: Monday mornings unless otherwise noted on rate card, papers must be delivered by noon
Wednesday or Thursday hours adjustable
The student worker may be required to work up to an approximate 20 hours per week.
Criminal History Check Required
This position is designated as a critical or security-sensitive position; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a Criminal History Check and be determined to be position qualified as per OSU Standard 576-055-0000 et seq. Incumbents are required to self-report convictions and those in Youth Programs may have additional Criminal History Checks every 24 months.No
Motor Vehicle History Check Required
This position requires driving a University vehicle or a personal vehicle on behalf of the University; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a Motor Vehicle History Check, possess and maintain a current, valid driver's license in their state of residence, be determined to be position qualified and self-report convictions as per University Policy 05-030.Yes
OSU commits to inclusive excellence by advancing equity and diversity in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
Attach cover letter and resume and send to email@example.com.