As a member of Orange Media Network, you will be responsible for student-produced content and ensuring student staff members are held to the highest ethical, fiscal and professional standards and practices. You will recruit, lead and supervise student employees and volunteers while advancing Orange Media Network’s reputation for excellence in all media forms and as a welcoming, engaging and inclusive organization. You are responsible to set the tone of the department as a collaborative, supportive environment, and should celebrate and take pride in the success of others with the same enthusiasm as you take pride in your own accomplishment. As a leader, you should build others up through mentoring, coaching and supporting, while also managing and directing work.
● Act in a professional manner
● Be a leader to staff, producers, and volunteers
● Be a collaborator with fellow Orange Media Network leaders in the shared use of facilities, equipment and content to benefit all Orange Media Network publications
● Work to ensure that KBVR-TV’s work is consistent with Orange Media Network’s mission, vision and policies
● Take Journalism Foundations training with Journalism Coordinator
● Commitment to truth, accuracy, and ethics
● Meet university eligibility requirements
● Solid organizational skills
● Able to remain professional and calm when working with a team
● Is capable of leading others and coaching them to be their best
● Meet university eligibility requirements
● Previous video production experience
● Prior experience on OMN staff
● Social media experience
● Provide leadership, coaching, and mentorship to staff and encourage learning, student participation, accountability and media excellence.
● Create or oversee content for a scheduled, high-quality post-produced video for air on KBVR-TV and KBVR-TV’s YouTube channel that is aligned with Orange Media Network’s goals to build a welcoming, engaging, and inclusive environment.
● Examples of this content could include but are not limited to: mini-documentaries, short films, scripted dramas/sitcoms. Essentially, a high-quality, non-live production.
● Work with Station Manager to determine a production schedule including strict deadlines.
● Attend weekly check-ins with Station Manager to review progress and show in-progress video, script, or editing.
● Film project must be completed and all final edits made no later than week 8.
● Transcribe projects fully and accurately for closed captioning on YouTube.
● Ensure show is properly staffed with dedicated crew members. Ensure crew is trained on equipment prior to use
● Hold crew accountable for professionalism while working on OMN productions, and hold them to the highest ethical standards.
● Ensure crew receiving necessary training and following rules and procedures
● Create a storyboard and script or a similar mode of preparation to get proof of concept for Station Manager.
● Ensure project is edited well and has high quality video and audio
● Communicate promptly and fully with station manager, TV staff, and OMN professional staff, and return messages within 24 hours.
● When project is completed, optimize for YouTube and upload to KBVR-TV YouTube page and properly label it with appropriate title, description, tags, and cover image.
● Notify Station Manager of completion by deadline to work into Channel 26 Programming.
● Create and tend to a regular social media promotion schedule.
● Attend weekly staff meeting.
● Lead at least one all-staff training per term.
● Assist with other TV shows as requested by Station Manager.
● Immediately respond to questions and comments from viewers with the utmost professionalism.
● Collaborate with outside organizations around campus and represent KBVR-TV and the Orange Media Network proudly and professionally while looking for opportunities to build audience and participation in the network.
● Participate in the NMC 409 open house the first Wednesday of every term
Additional responsibilities include:
● Work to create a legacy of assessment and constant improvement in the pursuit of quality and excellence
● Participate in weekly training with adviser and TV staff to train, review the week’s strengths and areas for improvement, and most importantly, brainstorm
● Notify Adviser and the Director of Orange Media Network immediately should any ethical, legal, personnel or controversial problems occur
● Alert professional staff on issues with equipment.
● Be as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own
● Check and respond to emails and phone calls immediately, professionally representing Orange Media Network
● Other duties as assigned by the adviser, director
● Think only the best, work only for the best and expect only the best
Hours: 5 per week
Position is hired on a term-by-term basis.