As a member of Orange Media Network, you will be responsible for student-produced content and ensuring student staff members are held to the highest ethical, fiscal and professional standards and practices. You will recruit, lead and supervise student employees and volunteers while advancing Orange Media Network’s reputation for excellence in all media forms and work to create a welcoming, engaging and inclusive organization. You are responsible to set the tone of the department as a collaborative, supportive environment, and should celebrate and take pride in the success of others with the same enthusiasm as you take pride in your own accomplishment. As a leader, you should build others up through mentoring, coaching and supporting, while also managing and directing work.
- Act in a professional manner
- Be a collaborator with fellow Orange Media Network leaders in the shared use of facilities, equipment and content to benefit all Orange Media Network publications
- Work to ensure that all work is consistent with Orange Media Network’s mission, vision and policies
- Take required journalism foundations training with adviser.
- Commitment to truth, accuracy and ethics
- Meet university eligibility requirements
- Take photos as assigned for The Daily Barometer, Web & Mobile team, and Orange Media Network magazines, as assigned by OMN Photo Chief.
- Subjects may include news, sports, arts, or other topics as assigned by editors.
- Stay up-to-date with OSU and community news, as well as local, regional and national stories.
- Attend weekly all-staff meetings.
- Meet all deadlines
- Attend feedback sessions with Photo Chief.
- Turn in photos that demonstrate clear news values
- Turn in photos of multiple subjects from various angles, that are appropriate to the story
- Be accurate and objective in photography and fairly represent the story. Avoid selective cropping and editing.
- Turn in edited photos
- Write accurate captions for all photos submitted. Captions should clearly identify the subject and details of the photo, and provide context for the story.
- Positively receive and be engaged with coaching from editors and advisers
- Assist with breaking news stories as needed, including posting to social media.
- Build portfolio of published work to apply for promotion to higher tier.
- Be flexible and open to changes in production process.
- Participate in the NMC 409 open house the first Wednesday of every term
Additional responsibilities include:
- Participate in OMN Boot Camp beginning Sept. 6. You will begin planning, working, and training each day leading up to the start of the academic year.
- Participate in all assigned START, START Transfer, and other orientation events during the summer and before the start of the academic year.
- Work to create a legacy of assessment and constant improvement in the pursuit of quality and excellence
- Notify Adviser and the Director of Orange Media Network immediately should any ethical, legal, personnel or controversial problems occur
- Alert professional staff on issues with equipment.
- Be as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own
- Check and respond to emails and phone calls immediately, professionally representing Orange Media Network
- Other duties as assigned by the adviser, director
- Think only the best, work only for the best and expect only the best
Pay Rate: $10-$35 per photo assignment
I have read and acknowledged the responsibilities of this position. I understand that accepting this position is dependent on meeting the criteria above. Implicit in this agreement is compliance with all University standards and guidelines.
OSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.