As a student leader in Orange Media Network, you will be responsible for student-produced content and ensuring student staff members are held to the highest ethical, fiscal and professional standards and practices. You will recruit, lead and supervise student employees and volunteers while advancing Orange Media Network’s reputation for excellence in all media forms and as a welcoming, engaging and inclusive organization. You are responsible to set the tone of the department as a collaborative, supportive environment, and should celebrate and take pride in the success of others with the same enthusiasm as you take pride in your own accomplishment. As a leader, you should build others up through mentoring, coaching and support, while also managing and directing work.
- Act in a professional manner
- Be a leader to staff, producers, and volunteers
- Be a collaborator with fellow Orange Media Network leaders in the shared use of facilities, equipment, and content to benefit all Orange Media Network publications
- Take required journalism foundations training with journalism coordinator and sexual harassment training
- Commitment to truth, accuracy, and ethics
- Meet university eligibility requirements
- CSS, coding experience, familiarity with R, Python and other interactive tools and resources, and understanding of digital data visualization not required, but is a plus
- Create interactive graphics and features for Orange Media Network web and mobile sites, under the direction of the Web & Mobile Manager.
- Continually communicate with the Engagement Editor to stay updated on current events and plans, and receive assignments for building interactive features.
- Work closely with news team and content creators across Orange Media Network to create unique online features such as timelines and maps to complement news stories, blog posts, and other content, through platforms including but not limited to KnightLab and Google Tools.
- Produce one new interactive online feature each week.
- Communicate daily with Web & Mobile Manager, and other student leaders to stay informed of needs for interactive features.
- Design and coordinate layout of Orange Media Network websites using Town News Blox CMS, paying attention to desktop and mobile versions of sites.
- Assist with posting content to OrangeMediaNetwork.com, including articles, advertisements, etc., as directed by Web & Mobile Manager.
- Meet all deadlines.
- Meet weekly with Web & Mobile team
- Lead at least one all-staff training per term.
- Immediately respond to questions and comments from the community with the utmost professionalism.
- Collaborate with outside organizations around campus and represent Orange Media Network proudly and professionally while looking for opportunities to build audience and participation in the network.
- Participate in the NMC 409 open house the first Wednesday of every term
Additional responsibilities include:
- Participate in all assigned START, START Transfer, and other orientation as needed
Work to create a legacy of assessment and constant improvement in the pursuit of quality and excellence
Participate in weekly training with adviser and OMN staff to train, review the week’s strengths and areas for improvement, and most importantly, brainstorm
- Notify Adviser and the Director of Orange Media Network immediately should any ethical, legal, personnel or controversial problems occur
- Alert professional staff on issues with equipment.
- Hold regular office hours at Orange Media Network, at least half of these hours should be during regular business hours (8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday thru Friday). Hours may vary during different stages of the term
- Be as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own
- Check and respond to emails and phone calls immediately, professionally representing Orange Media Network
- Complete all OMN surveys, including but not limited to the Weekly Assessment and OMN Student Employment
- Be good stewards of OMN resources by ensuring that OMN equipment is only used for OMN work
- Other duties as assigned by the adviser, director
- Think only the best, work only for the best and expect only the best
Pay Rate: 15 hours per week at $660/month