As a member of Orange Media Network, you will be responsible for student-produced content and ensuring student staff members are held to the highest ethical, fiscal and professional standards and practices. You will recruit, lead and supervise student employees and volunteers while advancing Orange Media Network’s reputation for excellence in all media forms and as a welcoming, engaging and inclusive organization. You are responsible to set the tone of the department as a collaborative, supportive environment, and should celebrate and take pride in the success of others with the same enthusiasm as you take pride in your own accomplishment. As a leader, you should build others up through mentoring, coaching and supporting, while also managing and directing work.
- Act in a professional manner
- Commitment to truth and ethics
- Be a leader to staff, producers, and volunteers
- Be a collaborator with fellow Orange Media Network leaders in the shared use of facilities, equipment and content to benefit all Orange Media Network publications
- Work to ensure work is consistent with Orange Media Network’s mission, vision and policies
- Take required journalism foundations training with adviser.
- Solid organizational skills
- Strong communicator
- Previous photography and photo editing experience
- Is capable of leading and coaching others to be their best
- Experienced in giving and receiving feedback
- Meet university eligibility requirements
- Previous newspaper or media experience
- Knowledgeable of InDesign
- Knowledgeable of Photoshop, Lightroom, or other photo editing software
- Knowledgeable of AP Style
- Knowledgeable of SPJ Code of Ethics
- Social media experience
- Prior experience on OMN staff
- Provide leadership, coaching, and mentorship to staff and encourage learning, student participation, accountability and media excellence.
- Meet all deadlines and enforce all deadlines for photographers
- Attend weekly all-staff meetings with editors, reporters, photographers, TV news producers, Web & Mobile team, and other team members to plan, organize, assign, pitch and assign work to photographers.
- Ensure all photo assignments accurately represent the story, follow proper ethical guidelines, and capture all sides of the story.
- Find, coordinate, and assign photo assignments to photographers for The Daily Barometer, OMN magazines, and Web & Mobile. Coach photographers to pitch their own ideas.
- Be organized and keep a spreadsheet of photo assignments.
- Communicate with editor-in-chief and section editors about all photo assignments.
- Ensure all photo assignments are completed, and that all photos are accompanied by accurate, engaging captions.
- Conduct reviews on all photo assignments, going over edits and identifying areas to improve.
- Assist with readouts for other sections as needed.
- Edit photos using photo editing software.
- Take photos as assigned by Editors-in-chief of Barometer, Magazines, and Web & Mobile manager
- Establish an implement archiving system for photos.
- Compile and post photo galleries for website at least twice per week.
- Post photos to Town News Blox CMS every day, after they have been fully edited, ensuring they have proper cutlines and have been attached to the correct story.
- Fully participate in magazine and newspaper print production nights until all pages are completed.
- Assign special event coverage and photo packets for clients, including graduation portraits, engagement photos, club events, and others.
- Attend weekly all-staff meetings
- Establish weekly photo team meeting for training, feedback and brainstorming.
- Lead at least one all-staff training per term.
- Immediately respond to questions and comments from readers with the utmost professionalism.
- Collaborate with outside organizations around campus and represent The Daily Barometer and Orange Media Network proudly and professionally while looking for opportunities to build audience and participation in the network.
- Work with photographers to build portfolios for promotions.
- Be flexible and open to changes in production process.
- Stay up-to-date OSU, local, regional and national news.
- Participate in the NMC 409 open house the first Wednesday of every term
Additional responsibilities include:
- Participate in OMN Boot Camp beginning Sept. 6. You will begin planning, working, and training each day leading up to the start of the academic year.
- Work to create a legacy of assessment and constant improvement in the pursuit of quality and excellence
- Participate in weekly training with adviser and Barometer staff to train, review the week’s strengths and areas for improvement, and most importantly, brainstorm
- Notify Adviser and the Director of Orange Media Network immediately should any ethical, legal, personnel or controversial problems occur
- Alert professional staff on issues with equipment.
- Hold regular office hours at Orange Media Network, at least half of these hours should be during regular business hours (8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday thru Friday). Hours may vary during different stages of the term
- Be as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own
- Check and respond to emails and phone calls immediately, professionally representing Orange Media Network
- Other duties as assigned by the adviser, director
Think only the best, work only for the best and expect only the best
Pay Rate: $660/month
Closing Date: Until position is filled or Feb. 20, 2018